Forum

Bed and Nozzle not ...

Notifications
Clear all

Bed and Nozzle not heating up

rsadler
(@rsadler)
Topic starter  

Hello, I have a CR-10 V1, and I recently swapped out the motherboard to a SKR Mini E3 V2 so I had a more up to date base to do some other mods. I installed the board and updated firmware to the current Marlin and it was working fine. I recently purchased a BLTouch and was having tons of problems, and no firmware seemed to work. After a couple of days with no luck, I noticed the prewired harness from the motherboard to the BLTouch was backwards on the BLTouch end, in the right order, but backwards. I removed the wires and repinned them correctly and so far its working fine. The problem I've ran into now is the bed and the nozzle toesnt seem to get hot. When I run heat for PLA i get error message saying heating failed, as the bed temps weren't moving at all. I tried a few different ways with the same results, and once when I just heated the bed by itself, I got it to actually heat up but it passed the setpoint and kept going so I unplugged it. I haven't gotten anywhere with the nozzle yet though. I'm kinda thinking its a firmware issue but not sure. The firmware I'm using is

So I'm not sure how to proceed from here. Any advise will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Print3D
(@print3d)
Member Admin

Hello @rsadler

Did you verify that your connections were good on the board and you didn't swap up heaters? Have you tried to individually set the temps. Are they going the right way?

The firmware was working before you changed to the BL-Touch version right? If you go back to the old firmware, do the temperatures work? If so you have the thermistor's setup incorrectly and we can help you.

Business IT Solutions - https://bizhostnc.com
Plastic Process Engineering

ReplyQuote
rsadler
(@rsadler)
Topic starter  

@print3d Hello, thanks for the reply. I didn't upgrade the heater, didn't want to get too much going on at once. I tried setting the temps individually, and the bed heats up but completely passes the setpoint until it fails. While it the temp is elevated to check it going down, it fails before it gets even near the setpoint. I tried the nozzle separately and it never moves, actually the bed temp starts moving when trying to heat the nozzle and it fails again as it does when trying to heat the bed. I tried the heating for PLA option and the nozzle never gets a chance to heat, because the bed runaway causes the printer to shut down before then. I've checked the wiring many times, and with each wire on the printer end being labeled I'm pretty sure that's right. I replaced the bed and nozzle thermistors today, and no change there at all. The cutting and splicing the ends of the new thermistor is pretty straight forward so I feel like that's not an issue. I still need to go back to the firmware I used from the manufacturer when I initially replaced the stock motherboard to the SKR E3 Mini,before I bought the BL Touch since it was working fine. The only thing I can think is the firmware or the motherboard is bad at this point, unless there's something I haven't thought of yet. I'm so frustrated with this thing. It's not a hard upgrade, as I'm not new to modding, I can't leave tings stock lol. All my cars are modded, I've built all my own computers forever, and into first person view drones and have built and configured many of my own drones so I'm very comfortable with tinkering etc but this has just got me stumped. Any help would be great! Thanks!

ReplyQuote
rsadler
(@rsadler)
Topic starter  

Couldn't find the previous version that i was running so I went to Github and went to the board manufacturer and the correct version, then followed their Marlin configs to the Creality folder and then Ender 3 configs since they didn't have a CR10 folder, and Ender 3 is supposedly exactly the same as far as configs and hardware etc, and compiled everything all over again, and the heat issue still remains. The bed temp doesn't stop at the setpoint and ends up failing, and when I try to heat the nozzle it  doesn't heat, and the bed starts heating again and fails again. The message says Heating failure: E1, please reset

ReplyQuote
rsadler
(@rsadler)
Topic starter  

After trying multiple firmware versions, checking my wiring connections and rechecking, replacing thermisters and anything i could think of, I decided to swap the bed and hot end connections on the mother board end. I didn't really expect it to make a difference, since the two wires on each one doesn't have a certain polarity, I figured it didn't matter which one was plugged in to a specific connection on the motherboard, since they both are just temperature indicators that do the same thing, but after swapping them things are a lot better. Before, it didn't matter if i tried heating the bed or the nozzle, the bed would be the one that got hot, and the nozzle never responded at all. Surprisingly after swapping the connections on the motherboard end all seems to be working now. The bed is taking a very long time to heat up though, not sure if it's from disturbing the insulation on the bottom of the bed to replace the thermister and not being stuck to the bed as well or what, but i'll settle with that for now. 

ReplyQuote
Print3D
(@print3d)
Member Admin

@rsadler

It can be PID tuned to speed it up. Glad to hear you found the problem, and it certainly matters where they are connected.

Business IT Solutions - https://bizhostnc.com
Plastic Process Engineering

ReplyQuote
Share: